Anything Goes (1989 London Cast)
Release Date: 1989
Label: First Night Records
Catalog #: CAST18 (LP) / CASTCD18 (CD)
Washington 1988: I was there to sing in concert at the White House for President and Nancy Reagan. In New York, a revival of Cole Porter’s 1930s musical ‘Anything Goes’ is a big hit. So I had to see it! ‘Anything Goes’ was a knockout. It has some of the best music and lyrics that anyone would ever want to sing. In addition to the title song there is a string of classic numbers.
The central part of Reno Sweeney is a gift of a comic role, something I’d yet to tackle in a ‘serious’ way. I knew instantly that I wanted to do it in the West End. But how? Well, you know what they say: ‘If you want something done….’ So I became a producer!
Back in London, I got to work and before long I was co-producing with Tim Rice and Robert Fox. We secured the rights to the American production. A date was set. The show opened at the Prince Edward Theatre on 4th July 1989, American Independence Day.
- 2I Get A Kick Out Of You (Elaine Paige)
- 3There's No Cure Like Travel/Bon Voyage
- 4You're The Top (Howard McGillin & Elaine Paige)
- 5Easy To Love
- 6I Want To Row On The Crew/Sailor's Chantey
- 7Friendship (Elaine Paige & Bernard Cribbins)
- 8It's De-Lovely
- 9Anything Goes (Elaine Paige)
- 11Public Enemy Number One
- 12Blow, Gabriel, Blow (Elaine Paige)
- 13Goodbye, Little Dream, Goodbye
- 14Be Like The Bluebird
- 15All Through The Night
- 16Gypsy In Me
- 17Buddie, Beware
- 18Finale: I Get A Kick Out Of You/Anything Goes (Reprises) (Ensemble featuring Elaine Paige)